You must try Orvieto Classico wine when you visit Orvieto. But which one? And why does each bottle taste a little different? What’s so classic about Orvieto Classico?
Orvieto Classico is a white wine made from a blend of grapes local to Orvieto, a region of Umbria about 90 minutes north of Rome. To be given the name, the wine must be produced within the region and made up of a 60% blend of grechetto and trebbiano grapes. The remaining 40% can be, more traditionally, made up of druppegio, malvasia and verdello. More recently, winemakers have added in grapes from outside the classico region like chardonnay or sauvignon blanc. The result is a slightly different taste based not only on the quality of the harvest, but the blend of grapes used.
What makes Orvieto Classico so memorable? In a word, the soil. The volcanic soil makes for perfect grape-growing conditions. Production dates back to the Etruscan era, 8th century BC, who were the first to cultivate vineyards in the region. During the Renaissance era, Orvieto Classico was the wine sought after by popes and nobility, and was part of the payment made to the artist who painted the chapel of Orvieto’s magnificent cathedral.
Each group of travelers with Adventures in Italy samples many different bottles of Orvieto Classico during a typical week. Starting with our pairing of olive oils and wines with dinner at Bartolomei we taste one or two. Most dinners are accompanied by wine, and of course there’s our visit to Palazzone where we take a tour of the wine making facilities and have a tasting.
Ordering the “house white” in Orvieto will always get you an Orvieto Classico. The challenge is keeping track of what you like best so you can remember to order it the next time! Come sample some wines with us! A full list of tours on offer in 2024 is available HERE.
You might also enjoy these posts:
Michelle Logue leads cultural and creative adventures in Orvieto, Italy. With a mandate to provide "travel that transforms", Adventures in Italy gives guests an immersive experience. After more than 15 years of return trips, Orvieto has become a welcoming home base surpassing the typical Italian vacation.
Adventures in Italy operates trips in May and September, with two options: Artistic Enrichment nurtures creative expression, while Discover Orvieto invites visitors to focus on the history and culture of Orvieto and live as locals. Find out more about tours and special offers by following Adventures in Italy on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and visit www.adventuresinitaly.ca
Slow Travel Tours is an affiliation of small-group tour operators who offer personalized trips in Italy, France and other European countries.